Sunday, September 22, 2013

Getting back on track...for the 3895737th time.

Perhaps this blog should be titled, "Diary of a Wannabe Blogger."

I've been MIA for four months. There have been quite a few times I sat down to write an entry, and either couldn't get started or couldn't focus enough to finish. I also feel like I mainly write in this blog when I feel I need to be holding myself more accountable for my diet and exercise goals. I feel like I've really veered off track the past two weeks or so, Since it's been over four months since my vegan challenge ended, I'd like to review what I've stuck with and what I haven't.

Since April 1st, 2013...


  • I still haven't had a burger. Ever since going vegetarian mid-March and then vegan for the month of April, I have not had a meat burger - and the interesting thing is, I haven't wanted one either. I used to love cheeseburgers and would usually order them 80% of the time I dined out at a restaurant. They just look so unappealing to me now. I've had some fabulous vegetarian and vegan burgers at restaurants as well as cooked up some of my own. I find them to be so much more flavorful and satisfying without the heavy feeling that comes with eating a burger.

  • I still haven't purchased or drank cow's milk. I think I switched over to almond milk mid-March, and I've loved it ever since. I don't plan on drinking cow's milk ever again.

  • I still buy Tofutti's "Better Than Cream Cheese" for my morning bagel. Back in 2009, I started each work day with a Thomas's 100% whole wheat bagel thin and covered half with whipped cream cheese and half with peanut butter. During the vegan challenge, I bought Tofutti's "cream cheese" and continue to purchase it. I think it's creamier than regular cream cheese without the sour taste that often comes along with it. It's blends so well with the peanut butter, and I couldn't imagine going back to regular cream cheese now.

  • I've cooked up a lot more vegetarian and vegan meals and also order them in restaurants. In the months that followed, I only ate meat one meal per week, if that. If I chose to have meat, I usually have chicken. I've had a couple of pulled pork sandwiches. No red meat.

Now, one big "oops" I had came over Labor Day weekend. On January 1st of this year, I swore off fast food. I made it 9 months without anything from a fast food restaurant. Over Labor Day weekend, I had a slight relapse. Dan and I were driving back late from hanging out with friends, and we were starving. Our options were limited. I decided to give in to...


I ordered a six piece chicken nugget and regular size French fry. I felt a little guilty that I broke my 9 month streak, but hey, it could have been worse. I haven't had fast food since then. 

Within the past two weeks, I have eaten meat quite a bit and have felt really guilty about it. The interesting thing is, even though I was craving meat at the time, after a couple of bites it really seemed disgusting and I didn't want to finish my meal. I've been really lazy about grocery shopping, cooking, and meal planning lately and I feel that is partly to blame for my lack of willpower. I'm hoping to get back on track with that this week!

Tonight I made chickpea brown rice and veggie burgers. I would have stuffed these in a pita with some other veggies and perhaps hummus, but didn't have any pitas on hand. I know I left some at work and I didn't want to buy another bag. These were SO incredibly easy to make! Took me only 15 minutes. The recipe suggested wrapping in a lettuce leaf, but all I had was torn-up lettuce bits. I just put one of the patties on a bed of lettuce and grape tomatoes, and it was delish. I could even eat one of these by themselves, maybe with some homemade sweet potato fries.



Tomorrow the crock pot will be on for some vegetarian sweet potato chili. I'm so excited to see how this turns out! I absolutely love sweet potatoes. 

I'm not sure what to consider myself these days. I often refer to myself as a vegetarian/vegan enthusiast. I really love vegetarian/vegan recipes and they're a great way to help me eat healthier and maintain my weight. Over the past four months, my weight has only fluctuated 2 to 3 pounds here and there. I've held my weight loss off since March now. Whenever I start to feel unhealthy and/or out of shape, I turn to my veggie recipes to help me get back on track.

On the exercise front, I completed my third 1/2 marathon two weeks ago. I felt great during this race. After the race was over, I took a break from running - it just always seems to be the trend for me once I've finished the race. I did a couple of boot camp sessions and other cardio workouts. Yesterday was the first time I ran since the race, and I ran 10 miles. I was hurting and cramping up pretty badly towards the end of that long run! I really would like to try to run 15 miles next weekend. I have to make sure to keep up with my exercise throughout the week to keep my endurance up. 

Today is the first official day of autumn, and it's important to me to keep eating healthy because we're starting to enter the danger zone here - Thanksgiving and Christmas will be here before we know it. Lots of tempting comfort foods are popping up. Then there's the change in weather - once it starts getting really cold, it's harder and harder for me to get up and go work out in the morning. I really want to fight that this year! I'm signing up for some fun race events in November and December to help me stay on track. I'd like to do the Presidential Towers stair climb again too in February. 

I'll try my hardest to write some more updates this week, including a review of the chili I'm making tomorrow and hopefully some other new recipes!


4 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog, Desiree! :) -Laura S :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Laura! :) That's good to hear, because I feel like sometimes it is boring ;)

      Delete
  2. It is never boring - I'm so glad it's back!!!

    ReplyDelete